Restoring Sexual Function with a Penile Implant
Restoring sexual function with a penile implant is easier than you may imagine. The team in our Chattanooga urology practice has the unique expertise to help men make confident decisions about sexual health and the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
It has been estimated that more than 30 million American men have difficulty getting or maintaining an erection. Furthermore, new diagnoses for erectile dysfunction number over 75,000 annually, and these diagnoses are related to ED secondary to prostate conditions or treatments. That means countless more men are suffering in silence.
Erectile dysfunction is a common condition that is being discussed much more frequently today, and that is fortunate. Men of any age who cannot perform in the manner they would like fall victim to the psychological toll that includes worry about disappointing their partner and confusion about what is going on in their own body. Amidst all the media attention given to erectile dysfunction these days, men then fall prey to companies that manufacture ineffective natural supplements aimed at their desire to perform at an optimal level.
First and foremost, if you have erectile dysfunction, talk with your doctor. An experienced urologist understands the nuances of the male reproductive system and of erectile dysfunction. Medical therapies exist to help men who do not achieve the desired outcome from medicinal treatment.
A Big Decision
On one hand, losing sexual function can be devastating to a man’s sense of self. On the other hand, it is a big decision to treat erectile dysfunction with a penile implant. Currently, less than 20,000 penile implants are placed each year. Experts believe that the primary reason for this low number is that men are not fully aware that this treatment exists, or what it consists of.
Here’s what you Need to Know
- There is no visible sign that a penile implant is in place. Neither a man nor his partner will see the implant.
- There is no physical indicator of a penile implant (other than an erection whenever it is needed). Neither a man nor his partner will feel a difference in sensation during sexual intercourse.
- Penile implant surgery is a short procedure. Also, recovery time is usually no longer than a week to 10 days.
- There is a minimal (2%) risk of infection from the implant procedure. Much lower than a large majority of surgeries.
- A penile implant is simple to use.
Studies indicate a high rate of satisfaction among men and their partners when a penile implant is the chosen course of treatment for erectile dysfunction. Would you like to know more about this procedure? Call UT Urology in Chattanooga to schedule a consultation.